Friday, May 30, 2008

Waterhole Census

This was our third year to attend water hole census at Melghat Tiger Reserve in Maharashtra India. Watchtowers are built near water holes and volunteers sit at 5 o'clock in the evening to 5 o'clock next day morning counting and recording the animals.


This activity is conducted by forest department on every full moon night in the month of May when the jungle is dry and water is scarce. This year my son Aniket with his friends Sagar, Akash and Pranav sat on one watch tower and me and my friend Ravi sat on the other one.



Throughout the night, we heard calls of Hyna, Samabar(Local name), Peocock and various birds. We spotted wild boar, jungle foul, barking deer and giant gliding squirrel.











3 comments:

Pranav said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pranav said...

Myself Pranav. It was my first attend at the waterhole census at Melghat Tiger Reserve. I sat on the watch tower in the fullmoon night along with my friends Ani, Sagar and Akash. We sighted Wild Bear, barking deer, Sambar, gliding Squirrel, owl, Indian Cevet cat, woodpecker.
It was a very nice experience on the Watch Towers. From this experience I realized the need of wild animals' reserves. I usually shares this experience with all my colligues. I want the readers to realize such things.
I thanks to Nitin kaka(Joshi) who has taken me at Melghat, which was nothing but the my own wish.

Columbus said...

Hi Nitin,

Congratulations for starting such an amazing blog. How many wild bear you could spot? Was it too chilly in the watch tower?

Jayant